Monday 16 September 2013

The Future for Blogger For Charity

While I understand you painting volunteers are still awaiting figures and effectively feel BfC is not even started. For us organizers it has been a bit like the swimming swan, calm above water while under we have been peddling furiously.... But it has been a real treat for all involved and for myself and Loki it has become a real passion.

The reaction we have been getting from the wargames industry has got the two of us thinking, why does it only have to be for one year. Loki and I have been chatting and we wanted to share a few ideas and see what you lot think.

First off I would like to say that Andy (Loki) has agreed to become the BfC Hon. Chairman and I will take the role of Treasurer/Secretary we want to see that BfC is a continuing success. The next part is where we would love some feedback.

The BfC plan will be to put on a demo game at two shows in a year (start and end) the components of the games will be painted and built by the Wargames Blogger community. A quick aside we do not expect you all to paint every year but hope you would be happy to help every now and then. After the last event each year the game components will be sold/auctioned off and the proceeds given to that years chosen charities.

So we are well on the way to 2014's game but would love to hear ideas for a 2015 game.
The planning of these games is a busy thing and as you will be aware we have been busy planning next years game this year. 2015 would need planning throughout 2014 even Andy and I think this is too much so we have come up with another proposal the BfC will need two planning teams who leap frog each other. Again we do not need a long term commitment but you may feel you would love a go at doing the BfC for one year.

We would hope that we have read the reaction of the wider community correctly and that this BfC will be well supported, Andy and I are happy to support and help any planning teams (even non Europe based, plenty of bloggers in USA or NZ, AUS)
So in summary.

Would you Support BfC ongoing?
Do you accept Andy and I as the committee?
Any Ideas for 2015?
Do you want to be part of the 2015 planning Team? (feel free to contact Andy or I privately through G+)

Thank you for your time
James and Andy


18 comments:

  1. Yes, BfC has already shown its worth; supporting it as an on-going concern is a no-brainer.

    Having leapfrogging organizers is a good idea - there's too much chronological overlap for one group to carry on.

    That having been said, I think there's need for some overview - I think you and Andrew are excellent choices. Well done on your work so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to the first two and no to the third I'm afraid at this time and for the last one I'm not good enough but you two are the real engine of this idea and well done to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't put yourself down Fran enthusiasm is a huge part of the planning and execution, part of the planning process is play testing and knowing the right people.
      I think you fit both of those
      Peace James

      Delete
    2. I'm filling up, the enthusiasm is hard after knowing Ray for so long!

      Delete
  3. Yes
    Yes
    Nothing legal
    I could have gone west by then . . . .

    I don't work well on committees, I'm an autocrat. However, after a career in local government, I am very good at passing the buck and character assassination. Any use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As an after thought and following on from TP's reply below, what are the criteria for the games? Continual skirmish games could get boring and large affairs are probably impractical. Getting it across the Channel means it's got to be properly portable too.

      I think that's the only hard bit. The 'support' (figure painters etc.) isn't likely to be a problem.

      Delete
    2. I do not think it always has to be taken over to europe, in fact it would be nice to spread it around UK too.Scotland has a few great shows
      glad to have got you thinking, small action or big skirmish or mulit-faction skirmish I think is the way to go for 28mm but no rule says we can do a year of 6mm mass battles
      Peace James
      loving the Noggin the Nog BTW

      Delete
    3. The NtN is Edwin's fault . . . .

      Delete
  4. Sounds excellent to me.
    Ill still help out with the odd bit o painting and stuff.
    But you guys have much more time and passion for this, as a regular event.
    It suits me far better to help out on an as needed/can basis.
    Take it forward guys, its in very good hands.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. 2015 is the anniversary of some very interesting battles, for instance the 750th of the Battle of Evesham (2nd Barons' War) and Alicante (part of the Reconquista); 1515 was Marignano where the french beat the Swiss; 1315 saw Moiry Pass (Edward Bruce in Ireland) and Morgarten (Swiss defeat a larger force of Austrians); in 1215 Genghis Khan captured Beijing and also the First Barons' War; 1415 was the Portugese capture of Cueta from the Moors; 1015 was, of course, Cnut's invasion of England.
    There are obviously other more famous anniversaries in 2015 (Waterloo, Azincourt, Sherifmuir, Preston) but I think it would be better to go for something less well known but interesting.
    4. I'd be willing to help out, but it may depend on how much time I have available.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good plan all around. The leapfrogging teams sounds like a sensible approach, but i would second the recommendation on having some form of overseer roles to ensure things stay on track.

    I am happy to carry on helping with painting, but I'm not sure what other uses I can fulfil at this point in time

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a plan to me, I'd love to get a little more involved but like Fran can't really commit to anything more at the moment. But it all makes sense to me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the next team would not be starting planning till april/may 2014 so plenty of time. Would make sense to have a South team and a North team

      Delete
  8. Yes to all 3 (well if you accept a colonial for the third category)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you will be a welcome and productive addition to any team

      Delete
  9. I'd be glad to continue supporting BFC as an ongoing thing and I've not got a problem with you and Andy as the committee. You both clearly have the enthusiasm and commitment needed for this to work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would you Support BfC ongoing?
    -> Yes.

    Do you accept Andy and I as the committee?
    -> Yes with my humble painting skills.

    Any Ideas for 2015?
    -> maybe Azincourt

    Do you want to be part of the 2015 planning Team?
    -> Actually I would love to but I don't see a chance to visit any planning meeting or gaming event realistically. So rather not. :-(

    Cheers
    Stefan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... For support which doesn't need face-to-face meetings count me in. But I think that would be rather support than planning itself, like investigative work of any sort...

      Delete